Window Screen Repair
Have a ripped or broken window screen? We can help. Give us a call today for a free estimate.
Or if you’re looking to repair your screen yourself, follow these simple instructions:
- Gather your materials and tools:
- New screening material
- Plastic spline cording
- Rolling spline tool (often packaged together with spline cording)
- Small flat-head screwdriver or nail punch
- Tape or clamps
- Utility knife
- Remove old screening. The screening material is held to the frame with spline, a plastic cord. Using a small flat-head screwdriver, nail punch, or other sharp object, lift the spline out of the frame, remove the old screen, and discard both the screen and spline.
- Size and cut the new screening material. Place the metal window screen frame on a flat surface and roll out enough screening material to cover the entire frame, leaving a 2-inch border around all edges. Cut away remaining screening material.
- Prepare screening material for installation. Place the sized screening over the frame and make sure the material overlaps the metal on all sides. Pull the material taut and hold in place with tape or clamps at the top and bottom of the frame.
- Install the new spline. Using the convex wheel of the rolling tool, push the screen into the channel around the inside of the frame. Pull material taut as you work your way around the frame. Next, use the concave side of the rolling tool to install the plastic spline. Once the spline and screening material is in place, use a utility knife to trim the extra material.
- Replace your repaired screen in the window and enjoy!
Best Handyman is metro Milwaukee’s top-rated home repair specialist, and we are here to help you. Give us a call for your free quote today!